Sunday, December 06, 2009

I'm an RSGB Member!


I'm now an official member of the RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain) again!

I first joined the RSGB in January 1969 as an associate member with my number A6412. I sent out loads of QSL cards with my number on as a Short Wave Listener. I waited patiently each month for the new copy of Radio Communication Magazine to arrive, I even got my photo in it one month.


It later changed it's name to RadCom, a brilliant magazine most of which I still have in a big box in the loft. I became a full corporate member in 1977 (I'm not sure why because I got my Amateur Radio Licence in 1971 ... maybe its because I had to be 21?)


I still have my original membership certificates!

Later in the 80's I gave up my membership because it became expensive and RadCom was going downhill.
Never went back again until now, I really miss the RSGB and RadCom, I have lost touch and need to find out what is happening. I listen every night on my Yaesu FT-817 and am getting more and more curious. The bands have become much more active with the new licensing and I have listened to loads of interesting QSOs.
Got my first copy of RadCom and am very impressed! I even got my brand new RSGB pin badge ... oh...memories!
Just one complaint...my original certificate was hand drawn on parchment paper, my new one was printed on cheap card printed on a computer. Not personal at all!
Come on RSGB, at least print it on parchment paper and sign it!!

No comments: