Sunday, October 02, 2011

G3JJM


Sunday afternoon and raining outside, listening to some stations on 2m. Then I came across a strong station and listened for a while, suddenly, I realise that I know this voice...it was Arthur G3JJM!

I am amazed at the number of stations that are on the air again from long ago. Today I listened to Gerry G2BTO and John G3EGC on the 1963 net on topband. Earlier this week I listened to Steve G3YTI from Darwen. These guys were my inspiration back in 1971 when I was going for my amateur licence 40 years ago.

G3JJM was the first ever radio amateur that I heard on 160m when I was 13 years old. He was talking with Tom G3XCI on a Sunday afternoon while I was having tea. My father and I listened on my 'Roamer 7' radio that I built. We heard it on the 'Trawler Band' which we later found out was Topband. Arthur G3JJM got my R109 receiver from the guy on Folds Rd, I went with him while he made the deal and got it for £1.50p...a bargain!

Nice to hear you again Arthur after such a long time!

No comments: