Friday, January 27, 2012

Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Now i'm not one to watch 'Coronation Street' on television, but tonight I saw something even more amazing than Becky! The Man from U.N.C.L.E. on Coronation Street? I was passing by the television when I suddenly saw Napoleon Solo - (Robert Vaughn) having a pint in the 'Rovers Return! Now I understand...Tracy Barlow works for T.H.R.U.S.H. (Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity) so they send in the Man from U.N.C.L.E. to eliminate her because Becky (an undercover U.N.C.L.E. agent) has been assigned to Barbados for a special assignment.Gosh! This immediately brought back the memories of the 1960's series. I can honestly say that I watched every episode on television! I waited for each episode to come on in 1966 and pretended that I was Illya Kuryakin (David Mc Callum) We even played 'Man from Uncle' games in the street and made my own 'Pen Communicator' out of an old fountain pen with the plunger that you pulled down for the aerial.“Open Channel D.” The silver pen that converts into a communication device is one of the most memorable spy gadgets of any TV espionage show. The Pen Communicator, as it is called, was used regularly by the stars of both the “Man From U.N.C.L.E” and “Girl From U.N.C.L.E.” series. U.N.C.L.E. agents would remove the pen's end piece, flip it around and reconnect it, exposing a gold microphone grid. They would then extract a hidden antenna from the other end, which, when turned, would activate the unit. The phrase “Open Channel D” would put Section II agents Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin into direct contact with U.N.C.L.E. headquarters in New York City. Alternate voice-activated channels would connect them with each other, or with other field agents. Additional functions include amnesia inducer and electronic scanner. This series was well ahead of it's time with all the technology hidden behind the taylor's shop to stop the infamous T.H.R.U.S.H. from ruling the world! U.N.C.L.E. - United Network Command for Law and Enforcement T.H.R.U.S.H. - Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity OMG...acronyms gone mad! Now I get it...Tracey Barlow works for T.H.R.U.S.H.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you I loved the Man from U.N.C.L.E, it was probably those communicators which made me want to get on and transmit, fuelled the enthusiasm to get my ticket. Technology having moved on they are now very much a reality.

Thanks for the nostalgia trip

73 de Barry G4HDU

adam pearson said...

I remember having an u.n.c.l.e luger, the triangular no.11 pin and black plastic shoulder holster back in 1968...i was 10yrs old and every inch an u.n.c.l.e agent back then. At the mature age of 56 now, I still am.